WHPC Firearms Safety Training Classes Offered for 2014
The schedule for Firearms Classes held at Wilson Hill Pistol Club has been set for 2014.
We run the following classes:
- NRA Basic Pistol - This is a beginner class. It is good for a student with
little or no experience with handguns or for someone who did some shooting as a
child but wants to get back into it. All students use .22 caliber pistols. We provide
everything required for the class but if you have your own .22 pistol you may bring it.
If you have not yet selected a pistol we recommend that you wait until after the class
to purchase one because pistol selection is covered in the class. The course covers:
- Safe firearm handling
- Firearm parts and operation
- Ammunition and its function
- Shooting fundamentals and an opportunity to develop them on the range
- How to select, clean and store a firearm
- Review of various activities available to help participants develop and improve their shooting skills
- NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home - To take this course you should have completed the NRA Basic Pistol course or have equivalent experience.
You must bring a firearm to the class that is suitable for personal protection in the home. For revolvers we recommend .38 Special or .357 caliber.
If a semi-auto 9mm or larger. However, any firearm that is safe may be used. You will also need at least two magazines or speed loaders for your firearm.
This is not an introductory shooting class. At a minimum you will be expected to be able to consistently get shots from the firearm you will bring in a 9"
circle from 21' at the start of the class. The better your basic shooting skills the more you will get from the shooting part of the class. This course covers:
- Introduction to Defensive Shooting
- Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
- Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership and Use of Deadly Force
- Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a Violent Confrontation
- Selecting a Handgun for Self-Defense
- Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
- NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home -
To take this course you must have completed the NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home course. You must bring a pistol, either revolver or semi-automatic with either a strong side hip holster or a concealed carry purse as well as at least 2 magazines or speed loaders for your firearm. For the holster you will also need a way to conceal it. This is not an introductory shooting class. At a minimum you will be expected to be able to consistently get shots from the firearm you will bring in a 9" circle from 21' at the start of the class. The better your basic shooting skills the more you will get from the shooting part of the class.
- Concealed Carry Safety and the Defensive Mindset
- Self-Defense and Concealed Carry
- Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry and Self-Defense
- Carry Modes and Concealment
- Presenting the Handgun from Concealment
- Presentation, Position, and Movement
- Special Shooting Techniques
- Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
The charge for the classes is:
The certificate you get from any of these courses will meet the requirement for a Maine Carry License.
- NRA Basic Pistol - $80
- NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home - $100
- NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home - $150
The instructors who teach these classes are NOT able to provide the certificate that MA requires to apply for a License to Carry.
We are glad to accept youth for the classes. Some quite young children have done well in the NRA Basic Pistol course. If they are under 18 they will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian or have signed permission from a parent or guardian. Consider the physical and mental maturity level of the child before you bring them. If you have any questions contact us. If you are going to bring younger children let us know in advance. We may need to have more instructors, especially on the range, for them.
Classes start at 9:00 AM, please arrive 5-10 minute earlier. Plan on being available until at least 6:30 - 7:30 pm depending on the course. We usually take a lunch break at a local diner. You are also welcome to bring your own lunch. Further details will be provided after registration.
Wilson Hill Pistol Club is at 1732 Lake Shore Road in Manchester NH. Take Exit 6 off of Rt 93 and head East on Candia Rd. Turn Right onto Lake Shore Rd which is shortly after you pass the Goldenrod Restaurant on your right. The club is a nondescript brown wood building in a residential neighborhood. It will be on the right just after Friend Street.
Click here for a MAP of this location.
To Register Send Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tony Lekas at 603.881.8960
You do need to let us know you plan to attend to reserve a seat. After you reserve you will receive an email with additional information on the class as well as information on payment. We require payment in full at the time the reservation is made.
All of the scheduled classes are on Saturdays.
Personal Protection Outside the Home is a 2-day course held on Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday will be a shorter day.
Note: Classes often fill up at an amazing rate! Classes that are no longer accepting registrants will remain listed
for your convenience but will be marked with a *FULL designation.
- 5/17 - NRA Basic Pistol (cancelled)
- 5/31 - NRA Personal Protection In the Home
- 6/21 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 7/19 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 7/26 - NRA Personal Protection In the Home
- 8/16 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 9/20 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 9/27-28 - NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
- 10/18 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 11/15 - NRA Basic Pistol
- 11/22 - NRA Personal Protection In the Home
- 12/20 - NRA Basic Pistol